Thursday, December 6, 2012

Stress of finals

No matter what country you are in, you clearly cannot escape the stress of finals. Whether that final is a paper, a project, a debate, or a test, it will always sneak up on you and stress you out. It's kind of funny to see how fast the libraries and reception has filled up since the start of finals and the last few weeks of classes. It's as if it's the norm of going to college to procrastinate. Yet wouldn't it make so much more sense if people studied a little bit every day and had big assessments on the regular rather than one huge one at the end of each semester? I found that in the classes that I have been in that give regular big tests and papers throughout the semester that I usually not only learn more, but actually do a lot better in than the ones that I have a huge final to study for at the end.

I walked into reception yesterday to print out my ticket for Berlin, and I notice that almost every single computer is taken up. I had to keep myself from laughing because this is so much like what happens back at my college in the states! People are talking about how busy they are and crunching in all nighters to make sure that they get the best grade possible at the end of the semester. You always find this time of year to have the longest line at starbucks and the red bulls at the grab and go to be completely wiped out.

I was lucky enough to not have any actual final tests that I have to study for. Instead I was able to get away with only having a few papers due and a debate on the last day of class. I'm still a little bit nervous for the debate because that class has been very confusing this entire semester, but the papers should not be too bad to accomplish. I personally really have enjoyed this travel writing class that I have been taking because of the fact that the entire thing is so reflective and 100% about my experiences abroad. Our final assignment is actually a reflection piece about ourselves and our time in Oxford, and not only is it something that I want to do well on in order to get a good grade, but it is also something I want to do well on so that I can look back at this and remember my experiences and all that I took away from this trip.

It's honestly so bizarre to me to even think about the fact that finals are already here. I remember like it was yesterday talking to my flatmates about how bored we were and could not wait for classes to start. I wish I knew where the time has gone since I have been over here but it seems as though every day passes by faster than the last. It's almost sad in a way, but I think that I am slowly getting ready to go back to the states and get back into my every day routine.

I'm on the bus right now on the way to Berlin, Germany with my friend Courtney and we're meeting up with a bunch of friends from our school back in the states that are all studying in Barcelona. They all leave a week from today, and I leave pretty soon after them, so this is going to be our last trip while being abroad. My expectations of this trip are pretty high since it is our last "hoorah" but we'll see what berlin has to offer us. What attracted us to come back to Germany in the first place is the famous christmas markets in the center of the city. One of my friends that is coming with us, also named Mackenzie, found out that there are in fact 10 different christmas markets going on while we're there! I am so excited for the german atmosphere, hot chocolate, and pretzel sandwiches that we are going to try. My expectations of this are a lot of what I saw both in Prague and at the Birmingham christmas markets here in England.

I can already tell this trip is going to be an adventure because of the fact that I had almost forgot my boarding pass and passport in my room before we left, luckily I remembered it before we got on the U1 to go to the bus station. Also, Courtney and I didn't realize that we actually booked flights to come home a day later than everyone else that we are staying with, so as a result we don't have a hostel our last night in Berlin and are going to be spending a lot of time at the airport. Honestly though, her and I are so used to doing that already that we came prepared with our laptops, headphones, and a list full of movies/tv shows on iTunes that will help us pass the time.

Although I say I am pretty sick of traveling and ready to go back to the states, i'm going to miss this independence a lot. Especially when it comes to booking my own flights, hostels, and plans around a city. These bus rides aren't as bad as they sound, and everyone within the transportation services have been so friendly and helpful to me wherever I have been. I'm going to have to save more of this reflective talk for my reflection at the end of my trip, but the independence that I have gained here is definitely something I will cherish the rest of my life, and be thankful that I was able to discover while being abroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment